Monday, August 23, 2010

My garden

This year I have planted my first real garden, in the years past when I lived in Oregon I had planted some things but mainly just in my front flower garden and they never really turned out. So this year I did it I planted a real one.

First we planted peas and corn but it froze again afterward and killed those so then I planted pumpkins, watermelon, zucchini, tomatoes and jalapeno's.And let me just tell you how excited I am about my garden I go out there everyday and just marvel and how huge my pumpkin and zucchini plants are. I have been picking zucchini everyday I have so much and am so glad I didn't plant more than one plant. I pick one for myself and either cook it that night or shred it up and freeze it and then the next day I pick another and take it to the next door neighbors and on and on...

Our first watermelon

One of our 18 pumpkins


Our tomatoes, they are out of control

Now I can't wait until Halloween and my kids can go right out in our yard and pick their own pumpkins, so far we have about 18 to pick from. So I plan on letting my girls each pick one, then the girls I babysit can each pick one, and then the next door neighbors kids can each pick one so that will take care of about 11 and I guess I am going to have to figure out if I can make pumpkin pie mix and can it.

I made some really yummy zucchini bars yesterday too I will give you all the recipe too. If you have any ideas on what to do with all the zucchini or the left over pumpkins please tell me. thanks

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bars

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
      
       Glaze
  • 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat eggs until combined. Add sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil and mix well with wire whisk.
In another bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and mix well. Add to egg mixture and stir just until combined. Add zucchini and raisins.
Spray 9x13" pan with baking spray. Pour zucchini mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-55 minutes or until bars are dark golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool bars completely in pan on wire rack.
In small bowl, combine powdered sugar with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, melted butter, and enough milk to make a thin spreading consistency. Spread over cooled bars, and cut into squares.

ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. garden looks great!! I would love a pumpkin :) I might have to try that zucchini bar recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a look at my blog, come back soon.